Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dickens at Sea


 {    Life is so full sometimes I can't seem to pick out one thing from my brain and just write about it because all the other topics are equally bursting at the seams to be written about; so I have to compromise.  Turn away altogether from those thoughts that occupy so much of my time and write or copy something completely unattached to those eager topics. 
 Hence, a sea post, as we just visited it last week and more conveniently a journal excerpt.   }




                                                                                                                      Thursday, Aug. 
16, 2012 

I like the sound of laughter coming from inside our sea cottage and the continual scraping of furniture being shoved around, for there is always a new reason to move it again.  Move it all together for a movie, shove it apart for daily traffic; move it to corners for cozy, low conversations and all facing each other for devotions.
  Our house is a tall thing on stilts and with ivy in a canopy over the archways. 
  We have been happily situated in a quiet nook at the southern tip of the island.  Daddy was preparing to begin Dicken's "Our Mutual Friend" and he said 'Y'all boys come in here and learn how to get a girl!"
It's a stormy day and we've been snugly tucked away with pillows, blankets and arms, hands and hair cuddled and intwined together as we're heaped on couches, much like puppies. 
The dialogue in-between the script is almost as entertaining as the script itself. 
"What is happening? Why are they digging in the heap?"
"It is the bone man and the one - legged guy…" 
"He is a REALLY bad guy now, isn't he?"
"If you get attached to him, believe me, he'll die," said Mercy morbidly.
Uncle Zack nervously rubbed his fingers together, "Oh…gohllly…good grief…get out. shoot, man…this is gettin' kinda…scary…"
"Oh no! Oh no!" Mama shouted. We were all on edge.  "Not the river! not the RIVERRRR!!!" 
"…Goodness…she's going to refuse him…." And Grandmama looked dubious and perplexed.  "She's going to refuse him and he's going to drown…"
"Yep." said Uncle Zack, rubbing furiously and shaking his head with an intensely blank look on his face. "They're gonna drown together…Gohhhly…"
 At the sight of two men struggling at the river drop off, and both drowning, Grandmama exclaimed, 
"Dickens went a little far with that one!………..a little too far, I think."
At the end, Uncle Zack vowed off Dickens forever, Chris sighed heavily and said, pacing, "Boy! I'm just gonna have to think about all' at…." and Grandmama looked at her book "Christy" and said after a moment of silence…"My….Christy just may not be that exciting after Dickens…"
  Grandmama reads and I lie here, my head on her lap. She strokes my face and plays with my hair. Her hands are cool and strong. 






















6 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could slow down and see things the way you do. One night I was keeping a friend company. It's just the two of us in a huge farmhouse, uncovered windows, on the middle of a 180 acre patch of farmland. There's a bit of wind, and she's never seen "Our Mutual Friend" It's 11pm, but we don't care...we watched it all...stayed up 'till 3am. Scared her to death. We're best friends now. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! how could you NOT be best friends after that? That sounds completely endearing. :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Gabe,

    You tell me that you enjoy my writing... but I think I enjoy your writings more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad of this mutual assurance that both enjoy each other's much more. i take this as a high complement from you, my dear.

      Delete
  3. lovely, i'm always so happy when you post.

    ReplyDelete

go ahead. leave one.