Friday, July 27, 2012

King Burger…your way…?

    Sometimes a hamburger sounds like the best thing in the world and as I was suddenly and intensely hungry and also on my way to interview some potential clients for a wedding, I figured I should get something to eat and not be sitting in that quiet parlor shooting anxious sideways glances every time my stomach growled.  So, I went to King Burger, and couldn't decide between drive through or going inside, but I ended up doing both because once I'd ordered my food I realized that I was really thirsty…for coke.. {horrible, i know, but sometimes coke is just so good. } Well, here's where I was reminded of just how silly I can be.  I pay for my coke {after waiting a looong time for a man to decide between #1 and #5, and cash or credit or change} then walk over by the fountain drinks to the ice and hold out my hand without the cup, which she reminded me I'd forgotten.  Retrieve it and hold it under the ice…nothing. Ok, so the next ice dispenser…nope. Nothing coming, but that's the moment I realized it was jammed!!!
victory: Remove large obstacle of fused ice which is blocking the pathway of other ice and proceed to fill cup with ice.
 I go to working on this piece of ice, grab a napkin and am attempting to 'melt' it out, but that cotton picker wouldn't budge. The maddening thing was that it was just large enough to not come but small enough to keep me believing that if I could work on it just a little more I'd have it.  I got involved. Studied the mechanics, the estimated time of removal, the force of what it'd take to get it out,  considered simply breaking plastic, applied heat where possible … During this, I happened to glance over my shoulder toward the counter..I don't know, maybe it was tinted with slight desperation, but whatever the case may be, it was enough for the two laid back older black guys to look at me and say in a half laugh,
"Ain' no ice."
….Now, you can imagine my chagrin.  They'd been watching me the whole time and there I'd been wrastling this ice machine for the past 5 minutes and really, I couldn't believe they'd stood there and watched me do it. So I told them,
"No ice??? … I can't believe you just stood there and watched me do this!"
At which they burst out laughing and as I filled up my coke - luke warm - they kept laughing with an occasional,
"She was pullin on that thang! She didn't know they ain' nothin' in there…"
And as I walked out, they were still laughing, but I was too, so I guess that's called a win win.

  OH!!! Home Depot just does something to my insides. I walk in there and feel like I could tear down my whole part of the house and renovate it with my bare hands and a saw.  That smell, the rows of 24 ft. tall shelves, packed with ANY thing you could ever possibly need for ANYTHING…it's overwhelming and dangerous for me to go in there.  I never feel quite satisfied walking out until I can envision dumping my imaginary house inside out and starting with a clean slate full of all the wonderful possibilities in my head and home depot…I passed just the sign tonight and it took all I had not to turn into it, and imagine all the way home what I could do with its treasure store of usefulnesses.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, and I bet those guys were the managers, too. "Have it your way!"

    ReplyDelete

go ahead. leave one.