Wednesday, August 10, 2011

la vida buena














  Day three:  My uncle is 1.5 spaniard, as are the rest of his siblings.  Not only is he dark with thick brows, black hair, and calves that looked like a stone cutter sculpted them, but he also inherited the peculiar pep and gusto of that culture.  (can one describe it as pep and gusto???)  Mama missed out on the olive complexion, but she got all the spirit a body could wish for.  (My mama knows how to make a party out of anything and she can do anything.  I promise.  I saw her once drive a stick shift while having a phone conference with a client, and drinking a sonic drink, then also answering some questions for me.) You can imagine then what it is like when we all get together.  A while back, Mama and Anne and I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and throughout the whole thing we would point out different things 'yep. we'd totally do that.'  By the time we finished that movie, we felt so bonded to them we felt like we'd been at a family reunion.  Loud, dramatic, animated, you can't beat it. With supper at nine, shouts of laughter and talks that go on long into the night, the family being together is not merely a nice event, but a reason to celebrate.  The Machiavellos 'kill the fatted calf' as it were and treat everyone like kings. I don't suppose anyone in that situation could help but feel contented and rich,  knowing we've been incredibly blessed.















 


1 comment:

  1. Bella, This was a great post! So was the one before, and the one before that, but I have to comment on this one because I wish I were there.

    As I read the words and looked at the photos, I could hear all the laughter. And the thought crossed my mind to just skip out on work today, and go till I see the house with the warm lights casting a glow into the night, and the laughter and love spilling out the windows...

    ReplyDelete

go ahead. leave one.